Monday, September 1, 2014

The Learning Myth Response


It is amazing the way that one blog or video can change the way that you view a certain topic. I have always believed that everyone is capable of learning anything that they set their mind to. However I have never thought about the fact that struggles and failures help your brain grow more than immediate success. I must say that I am guilty of never wanting to fail. If I believe that I will fail at something, then I am less likely to try it. Taking on this new idea that the author of "The Learning Myth: Why I'll Never Tell My Son He's Smart" can be hard for a perfectionist like myself. On the contrary, I think that it is extremely important that I learn to implement that idea in my classroom.

As a future teacher, it is my desire to help my students learn and grow in every aspect of life. This article could affect the way that I teach because I will now make it a point to praise those students who are continuing to try even after many "failed" attempts. This article has allowed me to see that only praising students for their accurate work is hindering the way that their minds grow. If I had a couple of teachers who praised me when I struggled instead of praising me for my first-attempt successful work then maybe I would not be as afraid to fail as I am today. I want every student that leaves my class to know that it is okay to fail and that you won't immediately be successful at everything you try. I also want them to know that what counts is their perseverance and the mindset that they can learn and be successful at anything that they want.

4 comments:

  1. I had a similar response to the video. I now have a new perspective on failure and it will effect my classroom as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had the same response. We often overlook the importance of rising from failure in classrooms. Not only is it an educational accomplishment, but it is a lesson learned in the classroom that can be carried into all aspects of life. This article definitely opened my eyes to that and will have an impact on my future classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed this video and article and I found it very inspiring! Everyone puts limits on themselves as to what they think they can or can not do and I think that this video helped to break through those. Not only do I feel as if this video helped me out, but I feel like I can take it with me into my classroom in the future to help push my students past what they think is their best

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this video changed all our ways of thinking about learning. I agree that we all want students to learn and grow in every part of our life and we want them to work hard and persevere. I think it is important to note and remind students constantly though that you believe in them and they can do anything they put their mind to. There is so much negativity in the world, coming from parents and other adults, that students need to hear it as much as possible, from as many sources as possible.

    ReplyDelete